Friday, March 10, 2017

Part Six: Mountains Beyond Mountains



As spring turned into summer and summer began to turn into fall, it was becoming ever clearer that I would not be getting my clearance any time soon. I watched everyone from my class graduate their ‘C’ schools and hit the fleet, then watched friends I made who arrived at Dam Neck after me graduate, and I was still there. I did find out in a meeting with the command security officer and the executive officer of the school (a civilian and a Marine lieutenant colonel, guess who made more money?) that the investigation had been concerned with some of my habits in the past, particularly my enjoyment of and participation in the furry community. I was unrepentant about decisions I made back then and my personal tastes, feeling them irrelevant to my reliability, and I resented the fact that this of all things was holding me back. Meanwhile, kids failing out of three different ‘A’ school classes and going to mast for not showering or washing clothes were getting clearances and being pushed out to the fleet. I was falling through the cracks. Without much else to do after my days buffing floors at the schoolhouse were done, I always went back to my 1985 Buick Electra.
My love of the Buick and love of working on it, not to mention my reluctance to let some dealer parts manager pour sodium silicate down its throat so I could get $3000 in trade-in value on a Cobalt, had saved it from the Cash for Clunkers madness. However, in the summer of 2009, after nearly three years of ownership and two years after installing an unknown-mileage junkyard-sourced LN3 3800 in a trailer park, the Buick started to really show its age. A couple weeks after the original transmission failed, necessitating an emergency swap in the parking lot of the base officer’s club, the alternator decided to join it, although it was courteous enough to give me a two weeks’ notice by making a lot of noise whenever I had the headlamps on or the radio turned up. I put my AutoZone rewards card to good use and replaced it in their parking lot. My door panels had been rattling ever since the Concert Sound installation at an “E-1 AND UP APPROVED” radio shop. I discovered that almost all of the cheap plastic clips that help the various screws hold the panels into place had disappeared (this would not entirely be the shop’s fault, these clips are meant to go in one time and one time only), so I visited the As Seen on TV section at Wal-Mart and picked up some Mighty Putty. Hey, if it can tow a 747, surely it can hold 1985 Buick Electra door panels in place, right? After that, the rattling stopped.
I had taken a bit of a break from my roadgeeking while at Dam Neck, mostly because I found the various highways around Hampton Roads a bit confusing with their constantly changing designations and discontinuities. I found U.S. Highway 58, which constituted the last big leg of my drives between Dam Neck and home, immensely interesting given that all but about half a mile of it is in Virginia, running along the longest part of the state from the mountains in Lee County to the ocean. So, one weekend, I arose at 7:00 AM, drove to the eastern terminus at Pacific Avenue (U.S. 60) on the Virginia Beach Oceanfront, and stayed on U.S. 58 for all of its 508 miles, my longest single clinch ever. It was a bit hard to follow through Norfolk and Portsmouth as it shifted alignments several times in only a few blocks, but into and past Suffolk it was a straight, easy shot.
I found that my old Buick, probably nearing 200000 miles on the chassis by this point, was not an ideal U.S 58 clinching vehicle, especially on the roller coaster sections between I-85 and I-95 (where at one point I actually had to pull over because I was getting a little motion-sick), and even more so once I got into the tight hairpins and steep climbs in the Appalachians. Although it was a massive upgrade compared to the LK9 my car originally came with, the LN3 quickly ran out of breath as I heeled it hard up steep grades and popped the column shifter into “3” or even “2” to apply manual engine braking down them. The temperature gauge in the LeSabre T-Type cluster began to point at the horizontal part of the dial, past 200 degrees. At a fuel stop, I found more water drips than there should be coming from the underside of my engine. Putting half my body into the roomy engine bay revealed that my old water pump was dripping in places it shouldn’t be, not a good thing trying to climb 30 percent grades in a balmy Virginia summer. I nursed it to the nearest town and replaced the pump in the parking lot. Exhausted and filthy, I decided to spend the night in that town (Abingdon, I think) before finishing the clinch and heading back to Dam Neck the next day. With as much love as I can give to my old Buick, next time I decide to do the mountains-to-ocean clinch (maybe a Murphy to Manteo run on U.S. 64, which is almost 100 miles longer, all in North Carolina!) I will have to take a slightly better handling and less-hooptie vehicle.
In September, not too long after Labor Day, I got the news that my grandfather passed away. He went to the hospital complaining of a bad cough and didn’t leave there alive. I was in a state of shock, although I had talked to him a time or two in asking him to help me diagnose problems with my car when I first got it and with my successful completion of boot camp, I never knew much about him and I never knew how proud of me he was until after his death. Although I could have gotten an emergency loan to get a quick flight home, I decided it was most appropriate to drive my Electra home to the funeral, taking the 16-hour drive in one manic shot. His military funeral was the first and only time I ever wore my dress uniform in my hometown. He never knew the story about the shitshow my military career was becoming by that point. At my grandparents’ house after the funeral, I spent a long time examining the award citation for his Distinguished Flying Cross, wondering if I would ever accomplish something of that caliber in my own career, or if my future in uniform would be spent buffing floors.

No comments:

Post a Comment