Thursday, March 2, 2017

Part One: As-Is, Where-Is



I think it is safe to say that cars have been a significant part of my life. I’m pretty sure my first word was “car”. When I started reading at age two, I was reading about a dozen new cars for under $10000 in Car and Driver. By the time I could string long sentences together, those sentences were usually naming every vehicle in a given parking lot, even down to the trim level. Halfway through grade school and I was spending far more time studying car brochures than schoolwork, memorizing option lists and packages better than whatever drivel was being put in front of me in gifted and advanced placement English classes at the time. 

With all of this in mind, there was little doubt to me that I needed to dive headlong into all of this madness as soon as possible. Even though I had been telling stories to anyone who would listen (even if they weren’t actually listening) that I was a fully licensed (for age 12) driver and the proud owner of such illustrious automobiles as the 2002 Mitsubishi Galant DE, the fact was my family was of only modest means and the chances of me getting my own car were rather slim. Even my mother’s 1998 or 1999 Kia Sephia, as basic as transportation could get, was purchased for her by my grandfather. In high school, video gaming and computing gave me actual hobbies to tell people I was into instead of telling everyone I was a preteen driver, but the visions of having my own car never left the back of my mind. Watching my peers get their own first cars for their 16th birthdays even further stoked the fire in my loins to have my own. 

I had signed up to take driver’s ed as soon as possible, the summer after my sophomore year in 2006, but even before that I was poring through every classified ad I could get my paws on, ardently searching for my first set of wheels. What was me? What was my price range, even? West Monroe, Louisiana has never been the cheap-car capital of the world. Cars costing much less than the mid-four figures were somewhat difficult to find, then as now. Craigslist was not well known back then, so all one had was the car classifieds. There were, however, a few off-brand dealers in town who occasionally advertised a handful of cash cars for only a few C-notes. Ignoring my mother’s dismissal that any car sold for a three-figure price must be the mechanical equivalent of a sack of loose Spaghetti-Os, I resigned myself to scouring the small print to find such a vehicle. There wasn’t much work available for a 16-year-old, and what was out there would have been barely sufficient to pay insurance premiums for a brand-new teenage driver in post-Katrina Louisiana (even more than 300 miles from the worst-affected areas), meaning a monthly payment was out of the question. That same summer, I took the first job that would accept me, cashiering at a busy grocery store for $6.25 an hour. Even with my bare understanding of the value of what I was bringing in, I knew my budget would be low if I wanted to stick to my desires of gaining mobility as soon as possible. Every payday I put a $20 bill in a shoebox I kept under my bed. 

I never had any particular vehicle in mind. Most of my peers were getting pickup trucks or sporty cars, with a few practical options here and there, depending on their own family’s financial worth, but I just wanted something. My shiny new learner’s permit began burning a hole in my pocket. I found a Geo Metro hatchback for $790 at the local Dodge dealer, complete with most emaculent Wal-Mart faux chrome spinner wheel covers, and which my mother thought was far too new to be that cheap, not knowing that the Geo Metro was only worth about 10 times that amount brand new, before incentives. I pursued it, but the combination of my box of twenties and my most recent full paycheck was insufficient to cover the balance, and earnestly begging my grandfather to make up the difference got me nowhere. I had to let that one pass. After that disappointment, one of the Louisville Avenue buy-here-pay-heres had a small crop of cars for just $100, so I went to see them. I arrived at the dealer lot on a hot August afternoon to find that their inventory of $100 cars appeared to have been brought there along with the back 40 they had been clearly been dragged out of, plopped down onto the back of the dealer property. All of them featured multiple flat tires, thick films of grime all over their paint from years of sitting under trees, and any combination of insurmountable mechanical issues. Only one, a 1970 or 1980-something long-bed Chevy pickup, its front bench worn to the springs, was near drive-off-the-lot condition, despite the fact that all four of its tires featured absolutely zero tread and held about as much air. I let that one pass as well, and so the school year started with me not having my own car, but I wouldn’t have to wait long. 

With my Xbox having recently been stolen, I had resumed my old habit of taking long walks throughout Monroe and West Monroe out of boredom, walking several miles all around town before returning home. On one of these walks, I was passing through the parade of buy-here-pay-here and shady shadetree car lots on Louisville, eyeing the inventory, when I spotted it. It was in the back like even the shadiest of car lots keep their cheapest wares, a mid-to-late-80s Buick Electra sedan. My mother had since come into my grandfather’s 1997 LeSabre Limited after he purchased a sparkling pearl white 2005 LeSabre Limited for his 75th birthday, and several years earlier my mother had a silver-on-red 1993 Buick Skylark which was wonderment for my eyes even though it spent most of its time with the temperature gauge pegged, so I had long appreciated the brand of Premium American Motorcars. 

It was a grizzled survivor. The clearcoat of its champagne paint shrank away from all the panel gaps, while the brown landau roof was baked from years of harsh Louisiana sunlight and humidity. Its Whorehouse Red interior was rough from decades of abuse of gumbo and crawfish-boil-fed asses falling and sliding in and out of the seats and the headliner sagged from years of collecting the smoke of millions of Marlboros. The last inspection expired in March 2005. But the tires (two white-ring and two all-black, on Pontiac alloys) all seemed to be solid enough and held air and the white concrete beneath was not stained with any fluids. More than that, it seemed to be speaking to me, its quad eyes peering out at me with weary friendliness from their faded and cracked chrome surrounds. This had to be the one. 

Several days later, I cajoled my mother into coming with me to the lot, the contents of my box of Jacksons fattening my wallet. I was ecstatic to find the Buick was still there. I learned it was a 1985 Electra 300, with 167000 miles, for which the dealer wanted $400. The dealer brought out the key, which looked like it had been cut from one of those roadside key shops built out of an old mobile home, twisting it in the ignition to show that the engine, a carbureted 3.0 liter version of the venerable Buick V6, fired up with little reluctance or display of contempt. Without so much as asking to see my license, the dealer stood back as I excitedly got into place in the cracked seat behind the grimy-wheel-covered wheel. My mother reluctantly got into the passenger seat, and the dealer waved us off for a test drive. 

The interior smelled like the packs of Marlboro Reds that had evidently been smoked by the hundreds in its confines, but the dashboard showed no warning lights, the horizontally-oriented speedometer and gas gauges’ faded needles did their job, and the AM/FM/cassette stereo even played LA 105.3 mostly through most of its speakers. All four power windows even worked! It accelerated (as much as its 110 horsepower could against 3500 pounds), it shifted, it turned, and it stopped. Sure, it was also quite bouncy, which made it difficult using its Novocain-battleship steering to stay straight in the lanes, and the A/C didn’t work so well, but in a $400 car you can’t have everything. My mom was wary, but my mind was made up. As soon as I walked back in the cramped office of the dealer, my wallet was out and I was counting cash. Keeping in mind that I still needed to take care of the tax, title fees, and insurance, as well as displaying appreciation for my moxie in paying for a car with my own money at age 16, the dealer knocked 100 bucks off the price. Electra 300 for $300. It was mine.
 
We drove straight to my mother’s insurer, where even the sticker shock of car insurance for a 16-year-old boy couldn’t dampen my enthusiasm. After that, we drove to a title agency where I got an honest-to-God automobile title, and my very own license plate. My hands shook as I affixed the plate, number NQB 278, to my Buick with a borrowed screwdriver. Even though I technically was not supposed to do so alone, I immediately took my new car on a lengthy drive, first showing it off to my friends at their place, then cruising with them all over town, not returning until it was nearly dark. Once home, I sat on the hitch end of our trailer and admired what I had just acquired for quite some time, forgetting for a moment that I was now almost broke for the next week at least, staring down the barrel of a $130-per-month insurance payment, for a $300 car with an unknown mechanical history and future. 

It was mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment